It doesn’t matter what size or body type you are, accessories are the easiest things to adapt to your shape. Accessories also say a lot about you and separate the women from the girls, from a stylistic point of view. The key to great accessorizing is keeping your pieces ageless but fun and with it…beware, however, anything gimmicky, cheap or disposable will immediately drag the best outfit down. Other important accessory DO’s:
- Always keep an eye on fashion trends, adapting them to your proportions
- Be careful not to wear too many accessories at any one time
- Avoid being matchy, matchy at all costs
- Make sure that every accessory that you purchase reads good quality (whatever it actually cost!)
Summer is here and it’s the perfect time to have some fun with accessories, play around with trends and give yourselves a bit of boost! Accessories are the easiest place to start and don’t have to break the bank, especially in summer!
Have a look below to see what could be fun for you to energize your summer wardrobe! (Click on any item and it will link you to the Polyvore site where you can purchase it if you like ☺)
1) Feminine Sunglasses – Instead of wearing the same old Ray Bans, why don’t you up level your style this summer with a pair of tortoiseshell shades in a more feminine shape. These will go with everything from jeans to a sheath dress and make you feel great every time you put them on!
Stylist Tip: Make sure that your glasses never sit above your eyebrow or below your cheekbone to ensure a proportionate look.
2) Panama Hat - I love these hats to keep off the summer sun both in the City and on the Beach. The Panama Hat is so Euro Chic!
3) Metallic Espadrille Wedges – Wedges are probably one of the most comfortable pair of shoes that exist on the planet and a matt metallic is very versatile for day and evening. These shoes are perfect for both midi and maxi length skirts/dresses and can be worn with skinny, flaired or cropped jeans/pants, as well!
4) Rope Shaped Belt – Why not experiment with different shape belts and materials to cinch in your waste this season? Snakeskin is the new neutral which gives an added touch of class to a simple white shirt, t-shirt, or summer dress while remaining cool and understated.
Stylist Tip: If you have a curvy figure you are best belting at the waist; If you’re shortwaisted, belt a bit below your waist to elongate your torso; If you have small hips, belt at the hips to give more volume there.
5) Oversized Jewel Tone Earrings – Large crystal earrings in jewel tones will add some extra pizzazz to any outfit. Rock them by day with a maxi skirt and t-shirt with your Panama hat or wear them by night with your ladylike LBD (little black dress).
6) Tie- Dye Scarf – Add a dash of colorful chic to your daytime uniform of a t-shirt and shorts/jeans with a fun scarf that can double as a bathing suit cover up at the beach or as a pashmina by night!
7) Rope and Bead Statement Necklace – Statement necklaces have been around for the past few seasons but this summer try a more unusual combination of colorful rope and strass to give your outfit a crafty, summery vibe!
Stylist Tip: Always keep your statement necklace in proportion to your size, e.g. Petites: smaller, Fuller: larger. Also, when wearing a statement necklace never wear statement earrings, as well. Keep your earrings on the smaller and simple side.
8 ) Wrap Around Watch – Take a break from your stainless steel or rose gold boyfriend watch and become the leader of the pack with a wrap around watch in buttery leather with stud details! Add a pop of colorful and sophisticated fun to your time piece!
9) Gemstone and Rope Cuff – Cuff bracelets are definitely in but why not catch everyone off their guard with an unusual version of rope and rose crystal quartz. It’s artsy, playful and classic at the same time and will never go out of style!
10) Sophisticated Beach Sarong – Try a sarong swimsuit cover up in a luscious sorbet color and pair it with a classic white t-shirt for maximum effect. Add a pair of jelly sandals and you’re ready to go!
11) Jelly Sandals – Jelly sandals are all the rage this summer, so make sure you get a pair. They are great at the beach but fun in town as well and can add that special extra stylish savoir-faire to a maxi skirt or sundress!
Stylist Tip: I carry a clutch in my beach bag so that I have a stylish little bag that I can pull out if I decide to have some lunch at a nice poolside or beachside café. I always travel with one, so that it serves as my beach clutch by day and evening purse by night!