The summer sales are on in full force… so instead of going out “bargain” hunting without a cause and buying things that will most likely be “orphans” in your closet, because you have nothing to wear them with, take a tip from a Personal Stylist and look for great prices on these key investment pieces that will instantly up level your outfits. If you feel hesitant about spending a little out of your comfort zone, remember the “Cost per Wear” principle: divide the cost of your purchase by the number of times you will wear it in the year and that’s the amount that your new treasure will cost you per day. So if you buy something luxe that goes with everything, wear the heck out of it the way the Europeans do. You’ll look fab, feel confident and tell Top Tier clients that you mean business! Even if you manage to buy just one of these things you will get a very high return on your investment both in confidence and professional and personal image.
1) A Designer Handbag – This is the one item that every businesswoman who wants to be playing in a bigger league should have in her arsenal. Your handbag is one of the first things that people notice about you, so make that first impression a positive one. At the end of the day, you really do get what you pay for, and from my own personal experience, these bags look good for years… if you take care of them properly. The quality of the materials, make and hardware are superior, as is the design. Your handbag tells your clients where you are or where want to be in your business. I’m not talking about big logos here but a piece that will wow and instantly make every outfit, even jeans, look like a million.
Personal Shopper tips:
- If you are just starting out, keep it neutral and classic with some interesting detail, such as lovely gold or silver hardware. Color-wise, your best choices are: black, brown, nude, camel , snakeskin, navy or metallic
- If you would like a pop of color, go for red or a berry color (purple) since these colors never go out of style and are on trend for Fall /Winter 2011!
- Make sure that the bag is in scale to your size: medium to small for petites, medium to large for medium figures, large for fuller figures
- Make sure it doesn’t hit at a point that you don’t want to spotlight: large bust or wide hip area
2) Designer shoes – A fabulous pair of shoes can really be the icing on the cake of an outfit! Again, the design and materials are of superior quality, and a hot pair of shoes really make you look like you’re at the top of your game image-wise. The sales are a great chance to get those Jimmy Choo’s, Prada’s, Miu Miu’s that you’ve been craving but felt were out of your buget at full price. You’ll be surprised that you can get these bargains (less 50%) online in the comfort of your home, at any hour of the day. (Check jimmychoo.com)
Personal Shopper Tips :
- Again, if you just starting out opt for a pair in the neutral colors stated above and red or leopard pumps will add color and interest to an all black or neutral outfit
- Don’t stick to a “too classic” style on this one because you want to wear these a lot, and too classic says ”dowdy” and “not with it”!
- Go for a modified platform style with a higher heel to add a little height. This does wonders for slimming and elongating the figure but is still comfortable to wear
- Steer clear of ankle straps if you are wide hipped or have thick calves, thick ankles or short legs. The strap will cut your leg at the ankle and break up that long lean line that you want to achieve
3) A Designer dress – A well cut, beautifully made dress will always make you stand out from the crowd. It’s true that you pick up some good copies from lower end shops such as Zara, H&M, Top Shop, Next and can make a good impression having the designer shoes or bag to upgrade your look. But when you jump to the next level of this special dress, it really does make a huge difference and bumps up your style quotient to 1000! It’s the difference between looking good and GREAT!
Personal Shopper Tips:
- Know your body type and be ruthless in picking what is just the right style and fit for you. If they don’t have your size, you can always go one size up and have it altered.
- Every garment will need some alterations from the rack, even a designer dress! Make sure to get the alterations done immediately at the Boutique or department store so when you get it home it is good to go!
- Choose a fabric that is seasonless, such as silk or cool wool, viscose or rayon and and not too summery in style… Have a quick look at the Trends for Fall 2011 and get something that will carry you right over to next season!
- If you only find styles that are very summery, remember that layering other pieces such a cardigan, jacket or blouse can give you a whole new look for the Summer/Fall transition while having a wonderful new summer frock to wear right away!
If you don’t feel confident shopping for these pieces on your own, engage the services of a Personal Stylist, Personal Shopper or Image consultant to help you out. It will take the stress out of finding the right pieces for you, save you a lot of time and money in the long run and make you look and feel fabulous!
I’d be very happy to help you out! Send me an e-mail and let’s get acquainted to see which of my packages best suits you!